Friday, July 18, 2008

Work


I feel like with everything I write there has to be a corresponding journal entry. If I add a sentence, I should credit my stock hold of sanity in my brain. So I have been working at a CPA and pretty soon my brain will be MIA. Actually that's not true, sadly, I really like it. It's like a big puzzle you have to put together and if it doesn't fit, you'll know. The people here are really nice too and it is such a relaxing environment. Paid lunches, call a friend.... just keep working too. (I'm not comfortable enough to do stuff like that though.... except the paid lunches and the blogging during lunch) Everything else in life is going well. I meant to take a social timeout for the summer but it hasn't worked out so I am going to try again...... I'm single what am I supposed to do!

I've been spending a lot of time focusing on economics and politics. I just finished my first non-scriptural book .... "Basic Economics" written by Thomas Sowell (great book). I just finished watching Al Gore talk about his version of solutions for our energy crisis. He had some good points, even though several times during his speech I felt to boo him. One of the things that we need to do as a country to improve our energy independence is start with the infrastructure. We need to start by revamping our outdated power grid. Power outages and defects costs American business $120 billion dollars a year. Thats a lot of billions.
The thing is though is that in order to revamp our power grids, build cleaner and more efficient power plants, and provide long lasting solutions to our current problems Americans have to unite under a common banner. This is going to be expensive and will need funding. Why doesn't the US give Americans the opportunity to put their money where there mouth is by offering energy bonds? With our highly regulated domestic electricity markets the government has much say in how the companies conduct themselves. Whether or not this is advantageous to our economy is not my point, my point is if we are to cut on energy consumption and increase energy production then we should make Americans the invested stockholder in our futures. The energy bonds could be converted into a common stake in such things as updated power grids and new power plants. Power companies already have to pay fees to other companies when their power travels across their lines, so the bonds could be repaid through those fees. The cut in energy loss should provide these companies with a cut in costs which would allow them the financial mobility to repay these bonds. I know, I am just firing this out, but it gets you thinking a little bit to.

So maybe I am a staff accountant/intern at a small public accounting firm. Maybe I don't know what the heck I am doing anyway (well not actually maybe) But I think that I have a vested interest in my future and I think that someday I will either end up in politics or will be on TV saying something about politics, even if it is only a 5 second clip, I gotta get in there somehow.

Say what? What you say?

Blake Gray

1 comment:

Ben & Jessica said...

haha im not gonna lie...i never understand political talk so i totally skipped over that middle paragraph! haha. but im glad you are likin it!