Monday, December 20, 2010

Pity

I hate pity. I could leave it at that but I feel it is the worst feeling in the world. When I feel it I feel like I am sinking. I hate to hear people admitting defeat. It is even worse when I can see they don't even believe they can succeed. I hate pity and whenever there is a hint of pity in the eye of someone around me when they look at me I instanstly burn inside. I cannot stand to be pitied. I cannot stand to hear people seeking pity. If things are bad for you, I am not the man to come to. I do not gratify and I do not validate. When a man is tired and feels like the task cannot be accomplished, what use would I be to take that task from him. Take away the pride of accomplishment? It would take away all of what he should have felt from all that he had accomplished so far. I don't want to help, only to encourage. When you feed a man, you starve his soul. When you give a man his home, you take away his chance of hope. Nothing is worse than pity. Perhaps not even death.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I think there is a difference between pity and empathy. Pity is only seeing someone weakness or lack of success. Pity is saying that you have not made it and by the look of things I don't think that you will. Empahty can be empowering. Empathy is understanding how the person is feeling at the moment while not losing sight of their strengths and potential. Empathy can be empowering and can help others see the potential that they have lost sight of. I agree that pity is the worst feeling, but empathy can be the greatest.

pelegray said...

Empathy - The intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another. Empathy is more feeling how the other person feels, even vicariously, as Christ feels how we feel through the Atonement. It does not in my mind mean though that the person maintains hope, though of course Christ does.